Voter registration

Check your registration

Register to vote

Information for Minnesota

Voter requirements

Be a U.S. citizen

Be 18 years old on Election Day

Be a resident of Minnesota for 20 days before Election Day

If previously convicted of a felony, your felony sentence has expired or been completed, or you have been discharged from the sentence

Not be under a court-ordered guardianship in which the right to vote has been revoked

Not be found by a court to be legally incompetent to vote

Vote by mail

Find your polling place

ID requirements

NO, unless you need to register or update your registration, or you have not voted in 4 or more years.
If you are registered to vote at your current address, you do not need to bring anything to vote in person.

If you need to register to vote or update your registration you need:
1. ID with current name and address

Valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit or ID; or a receipt for any of these.

Tribal ID with name, address, photo and signature.

2. Photo ID and a document with current name and address


The ID can be expired.

Driver’s license, state ID or learner’s permit issued by any state

U.S. Passport

U.S. Military or Veteran ID

Tribal ID with name, signature and photo

Minnesota university, college or technical college ID

Minnesota high school ID


Can be shown on electronic device.

Bill, account or start-of-service statement due or dated within 30 days of the election for:

Phone, TV or internet

Solid waste, sewer, electric, gas or water

Banking or credit card

Rent or mortgage

Residential lease or rent agreement valid through Election Day

Current student fee statement

3. Registered voter in your precinct who can confirm your address

A registered voter from your precinct can go with you to the polling place to sign an oath confirming your address. This is known as ‘vouching.’ A registered voter can vouch for up to eight voters. You cannot vouch for others if someone vouched for you.

4. College student ID with housing list

Colleges and universities may send election officials a student housing list. If you are on the list, show your college photo ID to complete your registration.

5. Valid registration in the same precinct

If you are registered in the precinct but changed names or moved within the same precinct, you only need to tell the election judge your previous name or address.

6. Notice of Late Registration

If you registered to vote within 20 days of the election, you may get a Notice of Late Registration in the mail. Bring it with youand use it as your proof of residence to register.

7. Staff person of a residential facility

If you live in a residential facility, a staff person can go with you to the polling place to confirm your address. This is known as ‘vouching.’ A staff person can vouch for all eligible voters living in the facility.

The staff person must prove their employment at the facility. There are several ways to do this, including by showing an employee badge.


Overseas and military voting

Voting as a student

Voting as a person with disabilities

Your Federal Voting Rights

As a Voter with a Disability, you have the right to:

Vote privately and independently
Have an accessible polling place with voting machines for voters with disabilities
You may either:

1. Seek assistance from workers at the polling place who have been trained to use the accessible voting machine, or

2. Bring someone to help you vote

You may request your local election officials to tell you about any voting aids, voting assistance, and absentee ballot procedures that are available.

Ensure your right to accessible elections!

For more information, contact the U.S. Election Assistance Commission.

By phone at 866-747-1471
By email at

Voting rights card PDF

Voting with past convictions